Inspired by African and Mayan architecture, the original construction of the house was finished in 1988. The property expands over an area of approximately 2,440 square meters.
Three modular buildings comprise the main house. The central bungalow consists of 2 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, kitchen, living room and dining room. In addition to this, the main house has 2 secondary bungalows both of which are fully furnished with a bedroom, a kitchenette and a bathroom.
A totally separate 25 by 5 meters bungalow comprises a large library, a bedroom, a full bathroom, a storage room and a small indoor patio ideal for guests, rentals or art gallery.
A large (approximately 2,440 square meters) unique botanical garden surrounds all constructions. It has taken over three decades of intensive work to create this nature space by regenerating, among other measures, the extremely rocky and harsh soil conditions in Yucatan. The garden contains over 300 species of plants ranging from indigenous and exotic palm trees to indigenous and exotic orchids. The jewel of the crown is a large collection of indigenous and threatened Mayan fruit trees which served as the basis of a tree nursery and the very first autochthonous Arboretum in a public space in the Americas.
All this was documented in a beautiful book published (free digital format) in March, 2023. House, garden and more recently, the Arboretum, have been the subject of multiple documentary films, newspaper and magazine articles, including one for the Discovery Channel hosted by Olivia Newton-John (1994) and another for the German TV network, ZDF (1995).
• Botanical garden with more than 300 exotic species and fruit trees over 35 years old.
• Swimming pool
• Covered terraces overlooking the garden and pool
• Grill area
• Covered garage
• Carpentry in closets and kitchen in the main house.
• Stove in main bungalow and grills in kitchenettes.
• Built-to-suit iron windows
• Mosquito nets throughout the house
• Outdoor lighting and irrigation in gardens.
• Fans throughout the house.
• Air Conditioning in gallery
• 14 solar panels
• Stationary gas tank
• Reverse osmosis system
• 1 well at 32 meters to supply water to the house.
• 2 absorption wells at 18 meters in the backyard and 1 in the front yard.
• 1 well at 6 meters for irrigation.
• 2 water tanks and 1 cistern
• In the last renovation (8 years ago), all the plumbing and electricity in the property were changed.
• Furniture and decoration not included. The furnished option is negotiable separately.
• Availability and price subject to change without notice.